Positively Different, Short Film Festival, 14 – 16 February 2020, Athens
Drawn by the multiple facets of oppression, aspiring to further creative works, cultural networks and political causes from and about the invisibles of modern societies, the brand new, “Positively Different” short film festival invites all film-makers, documentarists, visual artists and film-students to submit short movies from the fields of fiction, documentary or visual arts.
We are particularly interested in stories of communities and individuals that, due to their intersecting identities and complex experiences regarding their gender, sexuality, race, class, ethnicity, religion and able-bodiedness, are in the dark – lost, unrepresented, voiceless.
Our team and audience is charmed by intellectual vigour, aesthetic and stylistic coherence as much as it excited by straightforwardness, robustness, simplicity, tacitness. Shorts that reflect bold visions, grounded sophistication, original viewpoints and personal urgency are, essentially, what we are after!
The festival will feature a curated catalogue of 30 short films (up to 30’ long) that will be screened between the 14th and 16th of February in Athens competing for 3 prizes.
Fresh, non-competitive productions by young amateurs belonging to marginalised groups, concerts, special screenings, poetry readings and discussions will assemble an intense three days of celebrating diversity as the beauty of our world.
For more information please visit:
experiment with artistic depictions of relations through means of audio and video,
announces its upcoming short film festival “Positively Different”, that will take place in Athens, Greece, from the 14th to the 16th of February 2020.
“Positively Different” aspires to be a platform for creative work from and about the invisibles of our society; these communities and individuals that, due to their intersecting identities and complex experiences regarding their gender, sexuality, race, class, ethnicity, religion and able-bodiedness, are not sufficiently represented by minority groups and identity politics. This festival will bring together all the stories that understand diversity as the beauty of modern societies, and that are dedicated to fighting against systems of oppression with a camera as a tool and medium.
The Short Film Festival “Positively Different” is organised in the context of “Through the Lens of the Other” project and is funded by the Erasmus+ programme. TLO aims to address the importance of intersectionality as a lens through which we may understand complex social realities. The competition programme of the festival will run parallel to screenings of movies which were created by teams of amateur film makers from 11 different European countries, who belong to sensitive or marginalised groups and communities, as part of the project.
For more information on the project you can follow the link by clicking here, or contact Melina Kalfanti at email@example.com.
Awards and Prizes
Best film prize
All film-makers whose work will be screened during the festival in Athens, will be offered financial assistance for partially covering travel and accommodation expenses.
Rules and Terms
- Period for submission of videos: 1 October – 31 December 2019
- Topic: Intersecting identities
- Age of video makers: There is no age limit to the participants in the competition.
- Origin: There is no limitation or restriction to the origin of the video or its author.
- Duration: Videos should be up to 30 minutes long.
- Categories: Documentary, fiction, animation, experimental, video art.
- Submission of your video:
- You can use Vimeo (by submitting your password) or any other platform to submit the video. Other forms of submission (e.g. USB stick delivered to our office) will also be accepted.
- The video files should be in one of the formats: AVI, MP4 or MOV.
- Videos created with a smartphone are encouraged and will also be accepted.
- Suggested frame size 1080 * 1920
- Language: The video can be in any language, subtitled in English.
- Each video maker can participate with one video only.
- More information available here: firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating in the subject line of your e-mail: “Video Call 2019”.
Film Festival Terms
- Inter Alia is a non-profit organization based in Athens with purpose to promote intercultural dialogue and an innovative way of learning through the Art of Film- making and Image. For this reason it organises a film festival that every year has a different theme and travels to a different Balkan city.
- The exact date and place of the Festival will be arranged by the organizers of the festival and announced soon
- The main title of the festival is: “Positively Different” Short Film Festival
- The number of films that will be screened during the festival in Athens depends on the number of participants and the final decision of the organizing team
- The final films will be selected by the International Jury of the Film Festival until January 10, 2020
- The jury consists of 3 well known European film-makers and experts.
- The selection of the screened films, the order of projection and the programme are decided by the organisers, based on the technical specifications, the duration and the grouping of the films.
- The finalists will be informed by January 15 about the progress of their film in the contest
- The organising team of the “Positively Different” short-film festival, reserves the right to project part of the final films whenever it is needed for reasons of promotion of the Festival and under no circumstances for commercial causes.
- The finalists have to inform the organisers whether they will attend the festival in Athens so that the organizing team to organise their trip and staying in Athens
- There will be a prize from the Jury and a prize from the audience that will attend the Festival. The organisers will decide about the possibility of giving special prizes regarding the amount and the characteristics of the finalist films.
- The award ceremony will take place in Athens in a special ceremony right after the end of the “Positively Different” Short Film Festival and it will give: Best Film Award, Audience Award, New Entry Award
- Prizes consist of in kind awards and a statute as well as promotion in other events of the organisation throughout the year
- Participants agree to give interviews to the communication sponsors and to be photographed if asked.
- Parts of the Festival will be filmed for Inter Alia’s archive and for its promotion to the public. Members of the audience and participants that may appear in these parts cannot claim anything from the organising company.
- During the “Positively Different” Short Film Festival parallel events will take place.
- Positively Different Short Film Festival organising team reserves the right to cancel the Festival if it is necessary
- The sending out of the signed participation form entails the complete and unconditional acceptance of the above terms of participation.